PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMMON COLDSOZ Health Admin
First signs of common colds are usually sore throat, runny nose, sneezing and coughing. Most people recover within about 7-10 days. For those who have weak immune systems, they may have the chance to develop serious illness, such as bronchitis or pneumonia.
Many different respiratory viruses can cause common cold but the most common are the rhinoviruses. Rhinoviruses are linked to sinus, ear infections and trigger asthma attacks. You can get viruses from infected people, through the air, and close personal contact.
How to Protect Yourself
There are many ways to help reduce your risk of getting a cold:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Stay away from people who are ill.
How to Protect Others:
- If you’re sick, it is best to stay at home
- Avoid close contact with others
- Move away from people before coughing and sneezing
- Use tissue when you’re coughing and sneezing. Nose and mouth must be completely covered
How to Feel Better
- Get lots of rest and drink plenty of water.
- Eat lots of vegetables and fruits
When to See a Doctor
- If symptoms last for more than 10 days
- Severe and unusual
- If your child’s age is 3 months of age and has fever
Products for treating common colds
Hyland’s products treat cough, cold, nasal congestion, runny nose and allergies. All are natural, safe & effective.